When we were kids, our introduction to lemons wasn’t so friendly. (It went something like this.) But now that we’re all grown up, we actually like the tangy flavor it adds to our recipes for chicken, cookiesand, most importantly, cocktails.
But now our relationship with lemons has moved from the kitchen to the bathroom, as we incorporate the citrus fruit into our beauty regimen.
Lemons are a great source of calcium, vitamin C, magnesium and potassium — minerals and antioxidants that improve the appearance and condition of our hair, skin and nails.
So we present nine awesome facts/uses for lemons you should know.
Tip: Keep in mind that lemon juice should not be left on the body for extended periods of time and may have severe reactions when exposed to the sun. Always consult with your doctor if you have any concerns.
1. They heal acne and remove blackheads. Lemons’ antibacterial and antifungal properties make them a natural alternative to treat acne. Simply slice open a lemon and rub it across your face. Or you can add a few drops of honey to a lemon half before applying it directly to the area where you have blackheads. Wait five to 10 minutes before rinsing off with cold water.
2. They lighten dark spots and blemishes. Acne scars and marks are embarrassing and a pain to get rid of. Lemon juice’s citric acid gradually fades spots and evens your skin tone. Be cautious of open wounds or cuts on the face, as it can sting real bad.
3. They whiten teeth. Professional teeth whitening treatments can cost a fortune. Save yourself a lot of money and time with a homemade teeth whitener using baking soda and lemon juice. Mix the two ingredients into a bubbly solution and put onto your teeth with a Q-tip. Leave on for no more than one minute (the acid is strong enough to break down tooth enamel) and gently scrub off with a toothbrush.
4. They get rid of oily skin. We’ve tested out some pretty weird ways to bring down the shine on our faces, including laxatives. But swiping a cotton swab with a little lemon juice is just as effective. Try doing this before bed and washing your face the next morning to prevent oily skin.
5. They brighten your hair color. The cheapest highlights you’ll ever pay for involve making a trip to the grocery store to buy lemons. Combine lemon juice and hair conditioner, comb through strands, sit in the sun for a few hours and wash out. Repeat these steps at least once a week, and you will notice that your hair is significantly lighter